Save the date on the evening of March 19 to join NBYT in celebrating its SIXTH birthday!
You Can’t Do THAT at NBYT! is a a Celebration-Entertainment-Once a Year Event!
Performances this year will include musical and non-musical entertainment including members of NBYT’s teen troupe, SquishyTown Asylum. Gift certificates to NBYT will be raffled including one for the full cost of participation in NBYT’s summer musical! And of course we’ll have birthday cake and other desserts! We’ll also bring back the cash mocktail bar!
Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and performances begin at 7:00 p.m. Raffle drawings will follow intermission.
NBYT staff, parents, kids, and teens! Do you want to perform a song (as a solo, duet, or with a small group) that we just shouldn’t do at NBYT? Something from a role that you’re totally wrong for? Or something (kid-friendly of course) from a show that we’d never do? Or maybe kids and staff, staff and parents, or kids and parents or other adults performing together? Or maybe you’d like to perform something else—a dance, an instrumental performance, a reading, stand up comedy—be creative and create an act of your own! We’ll also have one or two chorus numbers that we’ll rehearse on a couple of days early in March.
To participate as a performer, email email@example.com or call 860-515-8115. Let us know if you have a song or other act that you’d like to perform or if you just want to sing with a chorus (because we need you too)! Auditions of individual and small group acts will be held on Wednesday, March 2, or at other times by appointment.
What’s that? You’re not a performer? That’s great too. Tickets will be $10 for individuals, and families of three or more are only $25! All proceeds will benefit NBYT programming.
Singers and audience of all ages are wanted for an evening of show tunes karaoke to benefit NBYT on Saturday, March 23. We’re calling the event You Can’t Do THAT at NBYT!
Along with on-the-spot karaoke sign-ups for a few audience members, we’re also planning solo and group pieces that will rehearse a couple of times.
- kid-friendly songs from not-so-kid-friendly shows (that we otherwise “can’t do at NBYT”)
- songs from roles that performers would be wrong for, because of age, gender or type
- group performances (of 2, 3, or more)
- parents, family and other adult performers singing together with kids and teens
We’re also planning a large chorus for 2 or 3 songs. Do you have an idea for a song or just want to join in our chorus? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-515-8115 for more info or to join us.
What’s that? You’re not a singer? That’s great too. Tickets will be $10 each for this fun event of music and festivities, and all proceeds will benefit NBYT programming. Tickets will be on sale by March 1.
This spring, New Britain Youth Theater will hold a Pig-stravaganza Art Show & Auction!
What exactly is a Pig-stravaganza?
This piggy-bank-painting event and auction has three goals: to help promote NBYT’s spring production of Babe, the Sheep-Pig, to raise funds for NBYT programming, and to help celebrate the first birthday of NBYT!
To reach these goals, NBYT is enlisting the help of the community, other artists, local businesses and organizations, and children and their families.
- Area merchants and organizations can sponsor and display artist-designed piggy banks from mid-March through April 30; sponsors will be recognized in promotional materials and advertising and will receive tickets to Babe, the Sheep-Pig.
- Artists and designers can paint or decorate a piggy bank and have their work displayed (at the Downtown Visitors Center and Gallery, among other locations) and auctioned to support NBYT; artists will also be listed in promotional materials and receive tickets to Babe, the Sheep-Pig. There is no cost for artists to participate and piggy banks are provided free of charge.
- Celebrities will be invited to sign, decorate or paint piggy banks for auction.
- Piggy banks will be auctioned at Trinity-on-Main Performance Center on Saturday, April 30, at an event before the first performance of Babe, the Sheep-Pig.
- Children involved in NBYT programs will also be given a chance to decorate a piggy bank of their own to keep; these will be displayed in the lobby of Trinity-on-Main during the run of Babe, the Sheep Pig from April 29 through May 1.
We’re hoping to receive much community support and to draw attention to other New Britain businesses, organizations and nonprofits as well as NBYT!
For more information on how to paint or decorate a piggy bank (whether you’re a professional or amateur artist or designer) or how to support or be part of NBYT’s Pig-stravaganza! call 860-515-8115. We’ll be adding lists of artists and event sponsors as they come in!